Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Do you have immobilization?

Well up to now, no. As I'm nearing the completion of my thesis, I've been applying for jobs and school programs. I'm trying not to put all my eggs in one basket, and all other sayings that basically recommend having options. And in this hunt for jobs, I've been asked "Do you have immobilization?"

Sure, I've seen it done. I've even helped draw up drugs in an emergency situation when I was volunteering with a vet. But no, I do not have the chemical immobilization of wildlife course. And with this in mind, I approached my supervisor. I asked him if I could get in on the next immobilzation course. He asked me if it would benefit my thesis... and I had to say no. Then I added that it would greatly benefit my life AFTER my thesis. And since a scientist cannot argue with logic, he agreed that I could do the next course that was offered.

That was Friday. Guess when the next course started? Monday. I scrambled and showed up Monday ready to go. So what have we learned? Lots of protocols, guidelines, drug names... lots of dry stuff. But then this afternoon we went to a firing range, learned how to set up tranquilizer darts and shoot dart guns. This is where it got really cool. We even got to try blow darting... very jungle-like. And then we finished off the day by doing two necropsies, a wolf and a fisher. Not too shabby!

Tomorrow's d-day (cue impending doom music). The dreaded test. I need 80% to say I "have immobilization". Now back to studying...

No comments:

Post a Comment