Friday, April 24, 2009

Flirting with my dream job

A couple of weeks ago The Daily Planet was at Trent University filming a segment of "Science in the City" with Alan Nursall for an upcoming episode. It was announced through a university news portal and on the morning of I went through extra preparations (and got up extra early): nice outfit, extra makeup, straightened my hair... I caught the bus and showed up in Gzowski (where they were filming). The photo above was taken by a Trent University publicist and was included in all their news items about the filming and subsequent broadcast of the segment.

There was a group already filming the experiment (which was putting together powerless MP3 player speakers), so I sat down and watched. The atmosphere was humming with energy, and I really hoped they would film it more than once. In fact, they did! After they took the mics off the group filming, a guy with a clip board approached us and asked if we wanted to be next - we said of course! After signing away all of our rights, we were given mics and the sound guy let us listen to each other talking in a big set of headphones.

Then we crowded around the table and started the experiment. If you said something particularly witty or well explained, they would ask you to repeat it. Overall, the experience was very exciting! I'm just mad at myself for not sticking around to chat with Allan about his transition from science to journalism. Being a science broadcaster on the Discovery Channel is definitely my dream job!

The anticipation of the last three weeks, waiting to see if I made the cut, was almost unbearable... It aired last night, and I made it!!! I've posted the link here - I'm the girl with the blonde hair (you'll recognize me from my display pic) and he calls me by my name, Andrea. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment