Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring is here - leeks are sprouting!


Yesterday I was in the field collecting the last of my winter cavity data when we noticed wild leek sprouts. I was ecstatic! The PhD student I work with, Colin (I will likely mention him a lot), and I picked as many shoots as we could... which equalled out to be just enough for each of us to sprinkle on a salad (or in my case, left over Pad Thai).

There was a big patch of "untouchables" - why? As Colin was leaning in to pick some, he noticed how there was much less snow in that patch than elsewhere... and then he noticed the hair... apparently deer do not have the profound respect for leeks that I do and have no problem bedding down on them the previous night.

If you've never had leeks before, their flavor is in the middle between garlic and onions... if you have, you know how delicious they are! I have posted a picture of the sprouts I took - it was exciting because I have a new macro lens that I haven't had much practice with yet... needless to say after lying on the ground for 10 minutes in my cargo pants I was feeling the effects of melting snow (luckily it was 10oC and the day was almost over).

1 comment:

  1. your pictures are amazing. Im going to put that down to your talent and not the new camera you have!

    ReplyDelete